For me, making a baby registry was kind of stressful. Don’t get me wrong—it was fun thinking about all the wonderful gifts loved ones would shower me with, but I quickly became bogged down with the overwhelming abundance of choices. And I had no idea where to start.
Good news: It doesn’t have to be like that for you! Here is the best advice I can give you as well as some must-haves for your baby registry. And remember: If you don’t get something crucial off of your registry, or if you forgot something, you can always buy it later!
Research other moms’ lists
I quickly discovered that other moms have already done the work for me—and the same goes for you! The number one, most helpful tool when I was researching what to register for? Pinterest. One night when I was ready to tackle the assignment, I went on Pinterest and typed “baby registry” into the search field, and a billion curated lists popped up. I decided to take five of those baby registry lists, print them out and cross-reference the suggestions. They were each a slight variation of one another, so within a night or two, I was able to come up with a very solid list of needs and wants for my little guy. I showed my list to two of my friends with toddlers, and they confirmed my choices were good ones.
You don’t need it all
You may think you need everything in the baby department, but honestly, you don’t. I found that I didn’t use half the newborn clothing I had, because my little guy grew so fast. I didn’t need a portable bottle warmer, because he didn’t mind his formula cold. Once you get to know your little one, you will learn their likes and dislikes. At that point, you can get some specific baby products to suit them (and you!).
Don’t overthink your baby registry. Rely on pre-made lists, customer reviews and what you like the look of. It’s not worth stressing over. It’s a fun process, so enjoy it and let people shower you!
Go-to items for new moms
- Swing. AMAZING! I did not register for one, and I wish I had. I ended up buying this one later.
- My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow. So helpful for form when you have no idea what you are doing!
- Baby PJs with zippers. Trust me when I say this: Buttons are a nightmare! A crying baby in the middle of the night is stressful enough.
- Fisher Price Newborn Rock ‘n Play Sleeper. This is especially great if you have a baby with reflux issues. We used this instead of a bassinet until my little guy was about 4 months old and ready for the crib.
- Muslin swaddlers. A few good wraps are essential for keeping your little one cozy and snug while they sleep.
- Changing pad. A must. End of story!
- Bottle drying rack. It’s as cute as it is functional.
- Bathtub. This one is easy to use, flattens and hangs on a door for easy storage.
- Soothie pacifiers. These are great for newborns and definitely helped relax my son. I have about 75 of these because I’m always losing them!
- Play mat. This safe spot for putting your little one down is great for their development and gives mom a bit of a break!
Share photos of your registry experience or your baby shower! Post pics of yourself choosing or receiving your baby essentials on Twitter or Instagram with hashtag #WalmartBaby.